One of my husband’s favorite desserts (and quite possibly his absolute favorite!) is Peanut Butter Bars. Really, what’s not to love? An oatmeal cookie base topped with chocolate and peanut butter is classic perfection.
I don’t make these a lot in the summer time because they’re pretty heavy. But once the leaves start changing and football comes on the television, I know it’s time to break out this recipe. I hope you love it as much as we do!
For crust –
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 stick butter (softened)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup quick oats
For topping –
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
4-5 TB milk
1 c of chocolate chips (or more!)
- Preheat oven to 350*
- Cream the softened butter. Mix with brown and white sugars.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Mix gently into soft ingredients.
- Add oats and mix well. NOTE: Recipe calls for quick oats. If I only have rolled oats on hand, I use those. No biggie.
- Spread into a greased 9x13 baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and gorgeous.
- Once you remove the crust, add a cup of chocolate chips on top. Literally, just sprinkle them on top of the crust. The heat of the crust will melt the chocolate. Run a spatula across them after a few minutes and get a nice chocolate layer going. NOTE: The recipe calls for one cup of chocolate chips. We like chocolate, people. 😉 I usually use a bag of dark chocolate chips and a bag of milk chocolate too. This far exceeds the recipe, but it’s what we like. Play with it! Some of our family doesn’t use the chocolate layer at all, some, like us, double or triple it. Make this yours!
- Let this cool. While it’s cooling, let’s make the peanut butter layer! Mix the peanut butter and powdered sugar together in a bowl. Add the milk in tablespoon increments until you get a nice smooth, topping-esque consistency.
- Once you have your topping and your crust and chocolate is pretty cool, drizzle the peanut butter layer on top of the chocolate.
Ta-da! Your creation is done! Try not to eat them all at once. 😉
Every time Julia has relied on Crew, he’s burned her. Now, when the single mother has everything on the line, Crew’s the only person she can turn to.
Will he be the screw up he’s always been? Or will he “man up” … even if it costs him everything?
Read for FREE in Kindle Unlimited or for $3.99 on Amazon.
Crank is coming this November!
The first book of the new Gibson Boys Series follows Sienna Landry and Walker Gibson and the rest of the Gibson family. These boys are blue-collar, a little dirty, and a whole lot of fun! Sign up for an email from me when it’s live below. 🙂